Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Another side dish

I have a love-hate relationship with asparagus.

Back when I was a teenager and my mother and her husband went away on their honeymoon, I stayed with his dad and step-mother for a week. That was quite a treat as my new step-grandmother is a fantastic cook. She served asparagus that week and it was the first time I had ever liked it.

Since then, I've tried making it in different ways, but can never get it to taste as good as it did that week. I want to like it, especially since it's so good for me, but I try and I try to no avail.

I was glad to see this number posted on Two Novice Chefs, One Tiny Kitchen and hoped it would get me one step closer to liking asparagus. I hesitantly took my first bite, and then gobbled up the whole plateful in 90 seconds flat! It was delicious!


Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter
Source: CookingLight.com; as seen on Two Novice Chefs, One Tiny Kitchen
40 asparagus spears, trimmed (about 2 pounds)
Cooking spray
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400°.

Arrange asparagus in a single layer on baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until tender.

Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat; cook for 3 minutes or until lightly browned, shaking pan occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in soy sauce and vinegar. Drizzle over the asparagus, tossing well to coat. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment