Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A failure?

Have you ever tried to follow a recipe, only to find out half-way through that you're missing something, be it an ingredient, a tool, whatever? Did you scrap the whole thing or muddle through?

Here's one that I thought I was prepared for, only to find out I wasn't in the least! Yet, I forged ahead making do as best I could. The whole time I was thinking to myself, "this is going to be terrible, which is probably a good thing because if Matt ever wanted this again, there's no way I could
duplicate it!"

He loved it. Go figure.

Considering that my flub-up was so successful, I can only imagine how good the real version must be! Click the link to read the original; my screwed up modified version is below. (If I can remember what the heck I did ...)


Chettinad Style Chicken Curry
Adapted from:
Sailu’s Kitchen
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup shallots
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 clove of garlic, mashed into a paste
1" of ginger, mashed into a paste
1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
salt to taste
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 cup chopped tomato
1/2 can coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I accidentally dumped a bunch in ... I added 1/2 can extra coconut milk to try to neutralize the overwhelming cinnamon taste)
Additional curry powder to taste

Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and curry powder and saute for 2 minutes. (This may smoke a little.) Add the garlic and ginger pastes and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken and increase the heat to high. Cook for approximately 4 minutes, stirring frequently.

Reduce to medium heat, add salt, turmeric powder and tomatoes and combine well. Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, uncovered.

Add the coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Add the remaining spices and let simmer for 3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.

Serve hot with white rice.

2 comments:

  1. I an a big fan of curry, we'll be trying this at home in the sometime near future when my sweetheart slows down at work! delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will post my coconut curry chicken dish at some point. It is fantastic and could challenge some Thai and Indian restaurants. You will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete