Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Sesame Beef a la Delish

The question, "what's for dinner?" is one that constantly stumps me. I like to try new dishes and keep things interesting for Matt (the man that hates to eat the same thing too many times too frequently, therefore making leftovers useless). However, trying new dishes all the time is what leads to me being stuck in the kitchen for hours on a weeknight and serving dinner at 10:30 pm. I'm not comfortable enough with the recipe to just throw it together (and the baker in me says, "you must follow the recipe and measure precisely!").

When I saw this recipe on Delish, I knew I had to give it a try! It sounded like it would be pretty quick and, hopefully, tasty. Indeed it was!


Sesame Beef
Source: Delish

1/2-pound boneless sirloin steak, thinly sliced into 1-inch strips
2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 garlic clove, minced
4 scallion greens, cut diagonally into 1-inch slices
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

In a bowl whisk together soy sauce, 1 Tbsp oil, honey, and mustard. Add steak, tossing to coat, and let marinate, refrigerated, for 1-2 hours.

In a heavy skillet or wok, heat remaining tablespoon oil over moderately high heat until hot and sauté garlic. Add steak and cornstarch, stirring, until browned 2-3 minutes. Stir in scallions, sesame seeds, and salt and pepper to taste and heat until just heated through. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try this dish. I am always looking for a good beef dish that doesn't come out rubbery. Being in the kitchen till 10:30 at night sounds way to familiar. While I am not a baker-don't let yourself feel so bound to following these recipes exactly as published. I stray from almost every recipe I make and let my taste buds lead me in the right direction. Most of the time, I feel a recipe comes out better-Jesse like to call me the "Seasoning Queen." :) Can't wait to try this dish!!

    ReplyDelete