Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread

To go along with my aforementioned kitchen catastrophe, I made this lovely Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread. While it was delicious and came out perfect, it added to the mess in my kitchen. Luckily, I was not mad at this recipe though and enjoyed it very much.

Due to the CDC's advisory to avoid raw jalapeno peppers, I used canned. I would like to make this again sometime with the fresh peppers the recipe calls for. Also, I might also reduce the amount of cheese because while I love cheese, I felt it overwhelmed the other flavors.


Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
Source: Barefoot Contessa, as seen on Brown Eyed Baker
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
¼ cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
8 ounces aged extra-sharp Cheddar, grated, divided
1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts, plus extra for garnish, 3 scallions
3 tablespoons seeded and minced fresh jalapeño peppers

Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don’t overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar, the scallions and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking pan.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra chopped scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

On another note, I will be away on vacation for the rest of this week and the beginning of next. But don't worry, you'll still have a new post to read while I'm gone. Look for it on Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment