Thursday, August 7, 2008

NH Eat Local Week


In honor of NH Eat Local Week, I decided to stop by Lull Farm and buy a bag full of NH-grown peaches.
I had been wanting to use more seasonal produce and now I had my opportunity. So I set off to decide what to make with my little lovelies and settled on a peach crisp.


Peach crisp
Source: Anne Burrell
For the filling:
5 large ripe peaches, pitted and cut into chunks
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup tightly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup golden raisins (I would consider omitting these next time. I felt they were a distraction from the lovely peach flavor and texture.)
Pinch kosher salt

For the topping:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pea sized pieces
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Pinch kosher salt
1 to 2 tablespoons cold water

Special equipment: 6 (6-ounce) ramekins (I used 6 5-ounce ramekins and had filling left over. The 5-ounce size was a good single serving size. I think the 6-ounce size might be a tad too big. I put the leftovers into a foil muffin-wrapper-lined muffin pan. These were tough to get out of the pan, but they were cute mini crisps!)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the filling:
Toss the peaches in a large bowl with the zest and lemon juice. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Divide the filling evenly between the ramekins.

For the topping:
Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor except the water. Pulse until combined, this will take about 30 seconds. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture is clumpy but crumbly. (Mine required very little water. Go slow!)

Top each ramekin with the topping. Be sure to loosely sprinkle the topping and not pack it down. (I had a lot of topping left over ... not sure how that happened.)

Place the ramekins on a sheet tray and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the filling is hot and bubbly and the topping, brown and crispy.

Matt's not a peach fan so he didn't like these as much as I did. He did, however, think the topping was excellent. Serve warm with some vanilla ice cream and you've got a beautiful, summery treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment