Friday, January 23, 2009

Instant pancakes

Another breakfast post?
I know, I know but I can't help myself – it's my favorite meal!

On Saturday mornings, when you head into the kitchen all bleary eyed, do you ever reach for the box of instant pancake mix? You can tell me, I won't judge you. I do it too.

My mix might be a little bit different though. I'm talking about Alton Brown's "instant" pancake mix. A mix that I put together myself so I know exactly what goes into my pancakes. I keep it in my cabinet at all times. Whenever the pancake craving hits, I can grab my mix and easily whip up a bowlful of batter.


Instant pancake mix
Source: Alton Brown
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar

Combine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix.
Use the mix within 3 months.

Instant pancakes
Source: Alton Brown
2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups Instant Pancake Mix, recipe above
1 stick butter, for greasing the pan
2 cups fresh fruit such as blueberries, if desired

Heat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees F. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.

Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.

Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don't try to work all the lumps out.

Lightly butter the griddle. Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)

Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired.


When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.

Serve immediately or remove to a towel-lined baking sheet and cover with a towel. Hold in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.


Be sure to serve your pancakes with some real maple syrup – local if possible!

7 comments:

  1. I love this recipe, my brother makes it all the time. Pancakes are one of natures perfect foods. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. goddamn, but i love a pancake.

    have you seen that commercial for IHOP (i think) where the eaten section of pancake magically re-grows to form a whole pancake? it's like my dream world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen it - it sounds kinda creepy! But, yeah, heavenly too!

    By the way, February 24 is National Pancake Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really good. I'll have to try the mix. I like Alton Browns recipes also!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How smart to make your own instant pancake mix. You know I just made some tonight. I eat all kinds, but can you sub whole wheat in this? I love pancakes. We had them for dinner. Breakfast is my all time favorite meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it's my favorite breakfast :) These pancakes are so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gabe's Girl - I'm sure you could but I haven't tried it. Try using 3 cups of whole wheat flour and 3 cups of all purpose. Or if you prefer to use all whole wheat, try reducing the flour to 5 1/4 cups. If you try it, definitely let me know how they come out!

    ReplyDelete