Tuesday, January 20, 2009

White Hot Chocolate

Being a New England girl, you would think I'd be used to winter. But it's been cold. No, I mean really cold. Friday's forecast showed a high of 18 degrees ... and a low of -15 degrees.

15 degrees below zero.

Seeking a way to warm up, I decided to make some hot chocolate. Not just any hot chocolate, but the most decadent hot chocolate recipe I have ever made. I'm telling myself that the calories were worth the warmth.


White Hot Chocolate
Source: Paula Deen
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream
4 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Vanilla whipped topping or freshly whipped cream, for garnish
Mint leaves, for garnish

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine white chocolate chips and heavy cream. Stir continuously until white chocolate chips have completely melted. Stir in the half-and-half, and vanilla extract. Stir occasionally until heated through. Pour into mugs and top with a dollop of vanilla whipped topping and garnish with mint leaf.


I halved the recipe which made two large portions. The vanilla whipped topping had the flavor of tapioca pudding which was not bad – but I came for the hot chocolate. I'll skip it next time and just savor the white chocolate's flavor.

Okay Old Man Winter, let's warm things up around here before my pants don't fit!

4 comments:

  1. looks decadent! and i'll trade you! i'm on business in singapore right now, with the humidity it feels ridiculous hot out! i'm missing out what little "winter" we have back in texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a baker as well! Not really that interested in the cooking part, but it is needed to live isn't it. I would much rather just eat cakes, cookies and pies, but can't really do that! Love that cinnamon bun, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish it were a little colder where I'm at, so I could warm up with something like your white hot chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, love white chocolate! I am crying tears of joy just dreaming of this! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete